Sunday, April 27, 2014

16. The (Koh) Tao of Banana Rock

After the madness of Koh Phangan I needed a break. A break from the partying, the people, the noise and commotion. The boat to Koh Tao was a short journey and there were plenty of amazing small islands to watch as they passed by the scenery. Windblown and awestruck once again we hit land and I met up with a friend Derek who had been working on the island as a DJ for several months.


Derek not working

He showed me the hotel he was staying at and I snapped up a room right across from a hard-court soccer pitch which would be hosting a tournament featuring players from Koh Tao and other islands of the region.


These guys were good

Mr. J's

I was bottom left, Derek was by the blue bin

After getting settled I took a look around and quickly decided this was far more my speed. It was in places like Koh Tao that really allow me to reflect on what an incredible trip this has been. From the giant and sheer cliff walls of Phuket with its incredible views, the atmosphere of islands like this and Phi Phi, even the craziest moments of Phangan were awe-inspiring, any backpacker or traveller looking for a soul cleansing journey will likely find whatever it is they want in Thailand.

And then Derek told me about Banana Rock.


No words

I wasn't sure this place existed until I actually saw it, but it took a 20 minute ride on a largely hilly and winding road to get there. I only dropped the bike once on a steep dirt road but managed to save it before metal met earth. Scaring my passenger enough (another Canadian with some stirring words tattooed on her thigh) to walk the rest of the 50 metres, we arrived at what looked like just another slightly off the beaten path resort area.


Words, thigh

Unbelievable view

I had figured out earlier that if you walk into any resort or unfamiliar area like you have been there all along they won't pay any attention. The minute you start asking stupid questions and raising a scene you will be asked for a key or room number or anything similar. This has come in handy getting into a few different resort pools and places I probably shouldn't have been in the first place.

I don't think this type of elusiveness was even needed here. We walked through the resort and approached a tree-house like structure at the back, looking like it was built straight up from the ocean on stilts from the trees in the close area. We climbed up to the second of three levels where there were a few tables and a help yourself type of fridge with beer, pop, and juice. They had a small bar area with staff (I think?) that prepared some fairly special coffees and other assorted drinks. Our group, which included four Canadians and three Germans settled into the living room area for the day.

As we alternated between climbing up to the top level to "drink tea" or "coffee" and relaxing in our cozy little hut we watched the sun set on another perfect day. These types of moments were the reason I took the journey. The blissful high of the ocean breeze wafted through us as the night melted in and everything would fade to black once again.




I'll be back Ko Tao,
Daniel Double-u


Mr J's philosophy (Click on picture to enlarge)

Sounds legit


No comments:

Post a Comment